Sunday, January 22, 2006

It's sad, but...


Marilyn Beesley passed away on Saturday morning of Liver Cancer. She has been quite sick for a while, and the family has been as prepared as they could have been for her passing. I know we all knew her well, and loved her. Emma was especially sad because she remembered Marilyn coming out to swim with us. She hasn't seen her in probably 2 or 3 years, but she knew exactly who she was. In Marilyn's way, she had told her family that she would die this weekend, so they could have her funeral on Thursday, and all still make it on the cruise. Leave it up to someone like her to be selfless even in the end. If I were more spiritual, I would post a touching remark by the Prophet, or an appropriate scripture, but we all know that isn't my way, so if anyone else feels prompted, by all means, do so. I'll post her obituary as soon as I see it.

Also, when I started working at Cottonwood, my first patient there was a cute older man suffering from AML (leukemia). Since I was working nights, we never really go into deep conversation, but he was always so pleasant. The aides would fight for who got Dale that night. He never left our floor, except to go to LDS for a heart surgery. Well, since I left, I've often wondered how he was doing. Today I saw his obituary. He had served as Bishop of the Ward my Brother and Sister and their respective spouses were in a few years ago, and he was currently in the Riverton Stake Presidency. So of course my whole family knew him. But the weirdest thing is that his wife was my Kindergarten teacher. Mrs. Jacobson. And I never did see her at the hospital because like I said it was the middle of the night. I just knew her name was Karen. Small world. It's funny how even not knowing someone's perspective on faith, we can tell who has a good spirit. And he certainly did. He suffered for so long here, and now I know he's happy.

So today ended up being a weird day. 2 of our friends are gone, and Emma has Strep. Go figure.

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

Sorry to hear the news. I wish the best for both families.

Betsy said...

I really liked Mrs. Jacobson. Her husband must have been a good man. She wasn't my Kinder teacher, but she taught all the others in my family. Thanks for the nice memory booster.

Betsy said...

I really liked Mrs. Jacobson. Her husband must have been a good man. She wasn't my Kinder teacher, but she taught all the others in my family. Thanks for the nice memory booster.

Alice said...

"A cute older man" made me think that he was probably my dad's age but in reality he was Dale's age. We knew them well. We were in the same ward for many years and Karen taught most of our children in kindergarten. We loved them and we were sad to hear of his passing. I was glad that I checked your blog so that we found out. They were both great people.